Saturday 4 July 2015

Slow boating down the Amazon (Tabatinga to Manaus)


The canoe dropped me off at a jetty at the bottom of Rua Amazonias in Tabatinga. I wandered up the road and found a taxi office and took a cab to the Policia Federal, which is where the immigration formalities take place. I had to wait 45 minutes for it to open as it is closed between 1pm and 2pm.
 
While I waited I was joined by a Colombian gentleman, who was also planning to go to Manaus. He explained he had been to the port and had been told the next boat wouldn't be leaving until Tuesday. It was Thursday and the prospect of having to spend five days in Tabatinga didn't fill me with joy.
 
The immigration formalities were quick and when the immigration official asked about my plans he said that usually boats left for Manaus on Saturday, Tuesday and Thursday. I also started to doubt whether doing the boat journey was a good idea when the official told me to be very careful as it is dangerous here. I still don't know if he was referring to Brazil in general or Tabatinga. Needless to say this just added to making me feel all that bit more nervous.
 
It also didn't help that at this point I still didn't have anywhere to stay. So a quick flick through my guidebook and I found a hotel, which I hoped still existed. The next problem was how to get there from the police station. It was too hot to walk and like Iquitos cars are not the main means of transportation so the chances of another taxi driving by were pretty slim.
 
In the end I flagged down a mototaxi and had my first ever ride on any kind of motorcycle wearing flip flops and with a 13kg bag on my back! He did have a spare helmet at least.
 
I ended up staying at the Hotel Cristina on Rua Marechal Mallet, an ensuite room with a fan cost 50 Reals. It was basic, clean and would do for a couple of nights.
 
At the hotel I asked for the best way to get to Porto Fluvial, which is where the ships heading for Manaus leave from. The owner asked why I was going there so I explained to find out when the ship would be leaving and buy a ticket. He then pointed out there was a ticket office just across the road, which saved me time and a taxi fare.
 
I discovered there was in fact a ship, Voyager V, leaving on Saturday and bought a ticket for 200 Reals.
 
With a day spare in Tabatinga I went out to get more supplies for the ship. I wandered down Rua Amazonias, where there is a market and a lot of mini market type shops all selling the same thing, but I managed to get what I'd need for the 3.5 day journey. I took four litres of water again, some fruit juice and stocked up on more snacks.
 
To be honest there isn't that much else to do in Tabatinga and had I been feeling a bit more motivated I would have gone to Leticia in Columbia, which is close by and as long as you stay in Leiticia you also don't require any immigration formalities.
 
The boat was due to leave at midday and I had been told to get to the port for 10am to board. I got to the port, which unlike the one in Iquitos actually seemed a bit more professional. I was told to wait in a holding area, which was just a large open air hanger type building, it had a roof at least.
 
The ship looked pretty decent and at 10am I watched the police board the vessel to do a search. I realised it would be unlikely that we would be leaving anytime soon.
 
Finally at 11.45am we were allowed to board, a process I feel could have been made a lot more efficient than it was.
 
First, I had to join a sort of queue to get a wristband, there were several different colours, which indicated your destination (green for Manaus). Then from here I had to join another sort of queue and wait for the only official, who was checking everyone, to check my passport and ticket and let me board. All this was happening in the heat of the day so I was a sweaty mess by the time I finally got on the boat. The gangplank to enter the ship was also placed at a very steep angle not good when carrying a lot of bags.
 
Due to Tabatinga's proximity to both Colombia and Peru, paired with a fairly relaxed border between the three countries every passenger is subjected to a thorough bag search as they board the ship. The official searching my luggage remarked on how much medicine and clothes I had. 
 
After the search I was finally able to get on deck and hang my hammock. The second deck was already quite crowded, but I managed to find a spot in the middle row near to several other tourists. The bars on which to hang the hammock were too high for me to reach so I had to enlist the help of a couple of guys to do it for me. As I didn't have a cabin on this ship I locked my big bag to a wooden pallet just at the end of my hammock. At 4.30pm we finally left port.
 
The ship was nicer than I thought it would be and there was even drinkable water provided.
 
Unlike the Peruvian ship, there didn't really seem to be anyone in charge of our deck, although thankfully the toilets were regularly cleaned and toilet paper was provided. There were also proper showers in the toilets on board. Football fans could make use of the makeshift pitch on the lower outer deck too.
 
One thing worth noting is that the majority of the lights on deck are kept on overnight. I also made the mistake of being fairly close to the TV and I guarantee that you will still hear it at 4am. As per the last journey ear plugs and an eye mask are necessary.
 
Meals on this ship were also included and I decided to risk it this time. Lunch and dinner were usually rice, noodles, beans and meat. I didn't bother with breakfast as this was just super sugary coffee, sweet milk and sugary bread. 
 
The Rio Solimoes and Rio Negro meet. 
The journey was pleasant and I saw some stunning sunsets as well as a pair of macaws flying overhead. Due to it being the end of the rainy season the Amazon is flowing at its highest so I didn't see a lot of land and I did get a little excited when I spotted a few metres of riverbank to break up the monotony of treetops.
 
As we reached Manaus I also saw the point where the Rio Solimoes and Rio Negro meet to form the Amazon.
 
At Santo Antônio do Içá there was a long stop while the ship was searched again, officials also came round checking passports and luggage. My name caused much amusement to the guy checking my passport because in Portuguese it means chapel. He found it so funny he even went to tell his friend. 
 
About an hour before we reached Manaus I noticed a lot of people getting washed and changed into nice clothes, which just added to my feeling of grubbiness. After 3.5 days of sweating, covering myself in several layers of DEET to ward off mosquitoes and wearing pretty much the same clothes I boarded the boat in I very possibly looked and smelt like the stereotypical soap dodging traveller.
 
As soon as the ship was docked it was a rush to leave as porters jumped on board in swarms to help with luggage. Iris, a German solo traveller I met on the boat, and I managed to get through the crush and out onto dry land to find out when the next boat to Belém would be leaving.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment