Thursday 5 February 2015

All is Bueno in Buenos Aires


My journey to Buenos Aires was mostly uneventful until the customs declaration forms came round. All was pretty standard except for one paragraph asking if you were bringing semen in – random!

Once I’d made it through immigration, my next mission was to get from the airport to America del Sur Hostel in San Telmo district. The hostel recommended Manuel Tienda Leon a door to door shuttle service, which was cheaper than getting a taxi and quicker than a public bus.

The main thing I noticed while on the journey from the airport was how European the city feels in terms of architecture. In a way it was quite comforting how familiar it seemed despite being miles away from home.

The hostel staff were warm, friendly and helpful. I booked a four bed mixed dorm, it was pretty basic in terms of décor but it was clean and well presented. I do love a hostel that provides brekkie, again this was quite basic but enough to keep me going and the dulce de leche (caramel) spread was delicious on toast. 

During breakfast on my second day a guy called Adam from Demasiado Tours handed me a leaflet for a free walking tour he was running of the main historic sites. I thought it would be a good opportunity to acquaint myself a bit more with the city plus it was FREE!

They say the best things in life are free and the tour was no exception. It was excellent and I would highly recommend it to anyone planning to visit Buenos Aires. I definitely came away feeling I had learnt a lot more about Argentina/Buenos Aires' history. We also got to see the barbers where the current Pope used to get his haircut! 



Having been told on the tour that one thing worth checking out is the Sunday market in San Telmo that’s exactly what I did. The market occupies the entire length of Defensa Street and there are a variety of stalls selling all manner of things from handicrafts and souvenirs to clothes and homewares. Having been to my fair share of markets on previous travels this one is definitely one of the most laid back, despite it being crowded it didn’t feel hectic and the stallholders didn’t seem too pushy either.

I also moved to my second hostel in the city (I ended up booking two because I couldn’t decide between them) Hostel Estoril, which is near Plaza de los Dos Congresos, it was a 15-20 minute walk from America del Sur Hostel. This should be fine I thought forgetting that I would be laden with all my luggage at what was quite possibly the hottest part of the day. Needless to say I was a bit of a sweaty mess by the time I got there.

The hostel is quite a contrast to my previous one as it is in an older building and has a bit more character to it. It certainly had a bit more of a homely feel to it with a nice lounge area and comfy sofas. Breakfast was included here too and one of the members of staff would cook you eggs if you wanted, I of course took them up on this offer every day.

On my last day in Buenos Aires I decided to do the other free tour offered by Demasiado Tours this time around the more upmarket districts of Retiro and Recoleta. As with the previous tour it was excellent. One of the things we saw was the memorial to those who lost their lives during the Falklands War or as it is known here the Malvinas War. Ironically the memorial is directly opposite the Torre Monumental, which had been given as a present to the city in 1810 by the British community living here.

We also visited Recoleta Cemetery, which contains 4,691 mausoleums it is quite something, especially the different architectural styles. Many prominent people have graves there including Eva Peron (Evita).

Finally, no trip to Buenos Aires would be complete without at least seeing or trying tango. My hostel organised a package where you could take part in a tango lesson then afterwards have a meal and watch a show. The lesson was good fun and you learnt the basic tango steps. The show afterwards was incredible and made me wish I was a better dancer.


No comments:

Post a Comment