Friday 6 February 2015

'Cambio, cambio'...how to survive Florida Street


While in Buenos Aires I needed to change some money - as you do. I had been told by several people including the hostel staff that the best place to do this is with one of the many ‘cambio, cambio’ people on Florida Street.

It is nicknamed the ‘blue market’ and unlike many other countries you actually get a better rate exchanging money on the street with these guys than going to the bank. It is illegal but the police tend to turn a blind eye. 

Before I left the UK I had also been told by my Dad not to change money on the street as with my poor maths skills I would probably get ripped off and not realise.

Sorry Dad, but I decided to give it a go and change some of the pounds I had with me.

Now I'm sure you may be thinking that Florida Street must be pretty dodgy, in fact it is actually one of the main pedestrian shopping streets in Buenos Aires and is generally full of tourists and shoppers.

As I was by myself I decided not to take any chances and just took the amount I wanted to exchange with me and no other valuables. As I said before my mathematical skills are pretty poor, so before I left the hostel I had worked out (using a calculator) what I should get for my money.

When I got to Florida Street, there were so many people to choose from so after wandering up and down a couple of times I eventually decided to approach a well-dressed man (my crazy logic decided that him being smartly turned out made him a safer option). I checked he was able to change pounds and asked what he could offer me. It turned out to be a little bit more than what I had calculated.

As the transaction can’t be done on the street I went with him to a nearby mall where the exchange took place. I had been told on the tour I went on to check the notes carefully as forgeries are common. I also knew that 100 pesos is the highest denomination note in case I was given anything higher as it wouldn't be legal tender. Thankfully there weren’t any problems and I went away with my money.

However, this isn't always the case and I did hear a story from a fellow traveller who was almost ripped off. He didn't realise that 100 pesos is the highest note and had been given several 300 peso notes. Luckily for him he was with someone who knew this and he was able to get his money back.


My advice to anyone planning to go to BA would be that it pays to do your homework beforehand and if you don't like the rate you're given, you don't have to go with it. Just keep your wits about you and it should be fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment