Tuesday 24 February 2015

Feeling on top of the world at the end of the world

Ushuaia otherwise known as 'fin del mundo' or 'the end of the world' is the southernmost city in the world and also the main gateway for people heading to Antartica, which is only 621 miles away.

I arrived under the cover of darkness so it wasn't until the next morning I got to see it in all it's glory. Flanked by the snowcapped Fuegan Andes peaks on one side and the Beagle Channel on the other it really is a stunning place. Needless to say the climate here was quite a lot cooler than what I had been used to further north.

The main street has a bit of a ski town vibe about it with lots of outdoor adventure shops, souvenir stores, travel agents, restaurants and cafés.  

As well as catering to backpackers, the city has a steady stream of cruise ship passengers passing through and it is also a popular starting/finishing point for many trips. I met a couple of New Zealanders in their early 70s who were about to set off on a motorcycling adventure all the way to Alaska, which they estimated would take 9 months!  

The city did gain some notoriety in the UK and Argentine press last year as it is where the Top Gear team were chased out of town due to 'that' number plate. Up until now, I hadn't really seen an awful lot relating to the Falklands conflict.

Ushuaia was the point from which the Argentine warship, General Belgrano, set sail before it was sunk by a British sub six days later killing the 323 men on board. The memorial to those who lost their lives in the conflict is much larger and more prominent than the one I saw in Buenos Aires, which gives the impression that what happened 33 years ago is still very much a sensitive subject here.


This was confirmed when I wandered down to the port and noticed a sign painted on the wall to the entrance which read 'Prohibido el amarre de los buques piratas ingleses' or roughly translated 'English pirate ships are prohibited from mooring.' I also found a leaflet in the tourist info office regarding arguments for Argentina's claim to the Falklands. Unlike the Top Gear crew I didn't encounter any hostility during my stay and all the locals I met were friendly enough.

That aside and other than being the southernmost city in the world what else does Ushuaia have to offer? Well, there's lots of hiking to be had, boat trips and there is even a glacier. During my stay I also got to experience Carnaval, it might not have been Rio but it was still good fun.
I was in Ushuaia for 7 days, but you could easily manage to do most of the main activities the city has to offer in 4 or 5. 
 
As I mentioned above, the Martial Glacier overlooks the city. It is possible to walk all the way to it from town and as it was a nice sunny day I decided to walk the four miles from my hostel to the start of the trail. However, you can also get a taxi to this point.

 The first 30 minutes of the trail were the most punishing as the incline was quite brutal. There is a chairlift you can take for this stretch of the trail if you don't feel up to it. Once you get to the top there are a few different routes to try.

To start with I went along the Sendero del Filo path, which ends at a viewpoint where there are amazing views of the city and bay. After that I went back and took the Sendero del Glacier trail. This was quite challenging as it is mostly scree and rocks.

Just as I reached the edge of the glacier it started snowing so I can now say I have experienced pretty much every sort of weather since being in Argentina. Thankfully it passed just as quickly as it started and before long the sun was back out again.

I wasn't all that blown away by the glacier as it was covered in snow so it just looked like snow on a mountain to me. However, the views from the top were amazing and made the walk well worth it. All of the trails are well marked and it's possible to get a free map from the info office at the beginning of the main trail where there are also toilets and a small café.

The day I went there were coach loads of people being dropped off to make the hike. Although, as another guest at the hostel and I both remarked a lot of these people didn't look very well prepared for a hike up what is essentially quite a strenuous trail and as I experienced can be quite changeable in terms of the weather conditions.  

Tierra del Fuego National Park, which is about seven miles from the city is one of the main attractions here. I went with three other people I met while staying at Cruz del Sur Hostel. The hostel organised our transportation, which cost 200 pesos each for a return trip and we each had to pay 100 pesos for entry to the park.

The park is massive but there is only a small part open to the public so the majority of hikes are all ones you can do in a day.

I was a little underwhelmed by the park, I think perhaps I'd been spoilt by the views from the glacier. The park is a big draw for the area so it has been made very accessible to attract more people, which means there are a lot of coach tours at the more popular viewpoints. A few times we ended up jostling for space. However, we did find a couple of trails, which were a bit quieter.

The highlight of the visit had to be Lago Roca not only did we see a red headed woodpecker in one of the trees on the way, the lake itself was spectacular. The water was so still and clear it was like looking in a mirror. Across the lake you can see Chile as the border crosses the far side of it. 

Finally, the last outing I did was to Laguna Esmeralda. The hostel organised my transport, which cost 120 pesos return. When the bus arrived to pick me up I was the only one on it and when we pulled up to the trail I thought I was just going to be dumped in a dusty car park and left to figure it out. Thankfully I was shown the path and in a mixture of Spanish, broken English and hand signals the driver explained there would be a sign further down to tell me about the trail.

On the walk I experienced different terrains and scenery from forests of lenga trees (tall deciduous beech trees) to crossing vast peat moss fields called turba (this feels like you're walking over a mattress it's very springy). I also saw evidence of a few beaver colonies along the way although unfortunately I didn't spot any actual beavers.  

I didn't have a map, but the path was easy enough to follow as there are blue markers to direct you.

It took me about 1.5 hours to reach the lake and it was beautiful. It is a blue/green colour as a result of rock movements from the glacier above it. It is possible to walk around the lake too, but I was on a bit of tight schedule due to being tied to bus times - if only I had left earlier in the day.

On the way back from the lake I did get lost as the land is very open on this part of the walk and quite disorientating because the blue markers are harder to spot. I ended up following a group of 3 people as I thought they knew the way - nope they were as confused as me. Thankfully after a little detour the Dutch guy who headed the group managed to get us back to the main path - phew. Definitely taught me a valuable lesson to be more observant when doing walks like this where I don't have a map.

When I got on the bus to make the return journey back to Ushuaia the driver offered all the passengers tea or coffee and he even brought some pastries along too - yum! I hadn't been expecting anything like that so it was definitely a welcome surprise after an afternoon of walking. 

Seven days in Ushuaia was definitely more than enough and by the end I was certainly ready to continue on with the next stage of my journey to El Calafate and the Perito Moreno glacier.  

No comments:

Post a Comment